Thursday, September 15, 2011

Natalie Chan Highlights

Natalie Chan (my favourite NZ designer) had her first showcase at NZ Fashion Week this year and presented a new line of Race Day Dresswear and Millinery. You can view the whole collection here.

These were my highlights:
"Fifth Avenue" Silk Dress and "Elite Fille" Silk Black Fascinator. I think Natalie's strength lies in her colour choices which are always unfailingly feminine. This dress is simple but I adore the organge tones and the translucent sleeves.

"La Prima Ballerina" Silk and Tulle Dress and "Courted Countess" Couture Hat. I'm not so big on the way the hat covers the model's face but that's probably a styling issue rather than a design issue. I love the uniformed colour, the pale tone of pink, and the textured hemline of the dress.


"La Dolce Vita" Derby Day Silk Dress and "My Fair Lady" Black Silk Headpiece. I love this purely for the headwear. If you're going to go for headpieces - go for size.

"Champs-Elysees" Silk & Beaded Dress and "Golden Girl" Headpiece. This isn't something I'd usually like but the colour combo of turquoise and gold is really striking. I especially love how the gold headband, belt, and hemline structure the look.

Also, how nice is it to see models smiling on the catwalk? I also really like that this is a ready-to-wear collection. It's such a nice change of pace during fashion week to see wearable, affordable collections (and a break from the pouts). You can find Natalie Chan's store and details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment