Thursday, September 15, 2011

Materialism

Designer: Sabatini. Images: Michael Ng.

I've been re-visiting my love of fashion blogs lately and as a consequence have been coveting the heck out of this piece from Sabatini's 'Sabatini White' Autumn/Winter 2012 collection. Whenever I trawl a fashion blog, buy a copy of Vogue, or covet a particular item of clothing however, I am inevitably plagued by two problems.

Firstly, I question why women do this to themselves? Why covet clothing that is realistically far beyond our budget? It seems ridiculous to taunt yourself with things you will most likely never have. But to me that's not the point. I very rarely actually set out to acquire a particular piece I see in a magazine or blog (the above dress being an exception). Rather I find inspiration in the colours, patterns, cuts, layering, colour combinations, accessories, and hair and make-up ideas I find on the catwalk and on street-style blogs.

Secondly, it leads me to question my own tendencies towards consumerism and materialism. I am an educated young woman with an arts degree and an interest in theatre, film, art, gender politics, punk music, and history. I also love fashion, wear make-up everyday, and collect teacups, old hardcover books, and vintage advertisements. Every single interest I have is an indication of something that makes me happy and/or has helped to shape who I am. It doesn't matter that some of them contradict the others. Over time I have learnt to never let something you love inhibit you from doing or exploring another interest. For instance I love punk music but I don't have to let it stop me wearing high-heels, or let it mean that I have to dress like I've just found out that the 70's happened and I'm really really excited about it.

But at times I feel like my obsessions with vintage, florals, and clothing "let my side down." I wear high heels and lace to university which leads to, aside from the many disapproving looks and comments regarding my inappropriate walking shoes, the occasional expression of surprise or disbelief when I display some sign of intelligence in a tutorial or lecture. Somehow society assumes that being intelligent and interested in sociology/politics/history/etc. isn't congruent with a keen interest in style, make-up, and fashion. But why should I have to choose?

Last night I told my partner that I wanted to see the new Twilight movie when it comes out. He hadn't realised I was interested in them and asked why I liked them, expressing surprise that I could be an avid festival and art film fan but still like Twilight. I found it difficult to answer. I likened it to an interest in tabloid magazines or celebrity culture - something used to pass the time/indulge in as a guilty pleasure/be amused by/mock/express disdain over.

But that's not necessarily true. I know it's awful. But I like it. I'm not an obsessive 16 year old girl. I think much of the acting is awful and that a teenager should not look like Taylor Lautner (heavy muscles on a fifteen year old are fairly creepy). But I like the cinematography (especially of the first film), and the silliness of the situation. I like the romance and giggling like a 14 year old when someone makes an overly dramatic pledge of love and protection. Should I have to apologise for that?

Should my interest in sociological issues and Lars von trier films mean that I can't like fashion and teacups and want to see the new Twilight film? I don't think so. I like what I like, and I don't think I have to justify that. So if someone wants to buy me the spectacular red dress from Sabatini, I'll say thank you and wear it regardless of whether I'm in drama class, an Anthropology lecture, or my Japanese History tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment